Healthy vegetarian power breakfast
I was always a big fan of power foods and vegetarian dishes, but never seemed to be good at making them home. Had my first real power salad at Jamie Oliver’s restaurant in Den Haag, Holland, last year and was thrown back by the simplicity jet tastiness of the dish.
Today I have decided to do some research in order to make a delicious power food breakfast myself. The internet can be overwhelming with information and finding a recipe that matches all the ingredients you have at hand can be tricky sometimes. Nevertheless, I always try to understand the basics of the dish and adapt it to my own teste buds.
And what better way to star a lazy autumn Sunday then with this super yummy warm couscous salad made with mushrooms, kale and thyme paired with a grilled baguette and soft boiled egg. Super easy to make, ready in 15 minutes and sure to give you a cozy autumn feeding
How to make it? Saute a finely chopped small shallot with 3 chopped mushrooms and a hand full of kale. Add the couscous, salt, pepper, thyme and pour in water just enough to cover everything . Stir in often and let shimmer for about 7 minutes then remove and keep covered until you serve it. Don’t forget to taste your food constantly, adding more condiments if needed to make sure it will taste the best for you.
In the meantime boil an egg for 5 minutes then remove and put in ice cold water. This will help the egg peal off easier. Grill a cut though baguette that you sizzled before with salt,pepper, thyme and oil, on each side for about 1 minute.
Serve everything with fresh chopped parsley or chives and fresh ground salt + pepper. Enjoy with a cup of green tea or coffee.
And voila! A perfect no-meat breakfast
⏳ 15 minutes prepare
you will need
- 50g of butter
- 1 small shallot
- 100g of couscous
- 1 handful of kale
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 egg, boiled for 5 minutes
- 120g of fresh baguette
- 1 teasp of oil
- Salt, pepper, thyme
- Saute a small finely chopped shallot in 50 g of butter with 3 chopped mushrooms and a hand full of kale.
- Add the couscous, salt, pepper, thyme and pour in water just enough to cover everything . Stir in often and let shimmer for about 7 minutes then remove and keep covered.
- In the meantime boil an egg in hot water for 5 minutes then peal of the shell.
- Cut the baguette horizontally and sizzle with salt,pepper, thyme and oil. Grill on each side for about 1 minute
- Take a plate, lay the baguette, the couscous on one end and cut the egg half through on the other end . Sprinkle with freshly ground salt & pepper and serve with a hot drink.