This delicious warm salad is the ideal side dish to pair with a light protein such as chicken or alike. Its stacked with fibers and vitamins, perfect for the cold and rainy autumn days and super easy to make.
I combined it with a delicious roasted quail, recipe here, but you can always choose a more accessible protein or , in case of vegetarians, soft boiled eggs / tofu, and so on.
For this recipe I used autumn veggies such as apples, sweet potato, pumpkin, fennel, onions and witlof. In comparison to the white witlof, the red kind is sweeter and doesn’t have the bitter taste; it is easy to find on the Belgian markets and price-friendly , but should you live in an area where it is not used, you might want to substitute it with the traditional version or leave it completely out.
Cut all the ingredients in cubes but the witlof , put in a bowl aside. Take a hand full of veggies and roast in a pan with salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme – until soft. Add 50 ml of white wine, I used Sauvignon, and let reduce. Pour in around 100ml of chicken stock or water and let shimmer. Combine the mixture with the veggies in the bowl and together with the witlof, roast in pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes, until soft. You can also add some garlic cloves if you wish, optional though, and some fresh thyme.
10 minutes into veggies being roasted in the oven, cook the quinoa as per package instruction. Add around 100 g of washed baby spinach to give a ground delicious taste and sote for another 3 minutes.
I do not add any condiments at this point, as I will use the juice from the veggies to give spice to my salad and go from there. Once the veggies and quinoa are cooked, mix all together in a bowl and add some fresh chopped parsley and a pinch of chili flakes for balance. Should it need more seasoning, this is the perfect time to add them. Serve with a light protein or on its own ,completely up to you.
And voila, you got yourself a delicious budget friendly side dish, full of fiber, goodness and healthiness.
Enjoy it with a glass of wine and good company.
⏳: 40 minutes
Serves : 4 x 🍴
- 2 medium apples
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 150 g of pumpkin
- 1 red , 1 white onion
- ½ medium fennel
- 4 red witlof
- 100 g of spinach
- 100 ml of chicken stock / water
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg, fresh thyme,
- 50 ml of white wine
- 350 g of quinoa
- Cut all the ingredients in cubes but the witlof and set aside
- Take a hand full of veggies and roast in a pan with salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme – until soft.
- Add the wine and let reduce.
- Pour in around 100ml of chicken stock or water and let shimmer.
- Pour the mixture over the veggies, add the witlof cut in large stripes, some fresh thyme and lay everything on a baking tray
- roast in pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes
- 10 minutes into the roast, cook quinoa as per package instructions. Add the spinach and stir for about 3 minutes
- Mix the veggies and the juice left in the tray with the quinoa
- Add fresh parsley and if needed, more salt, pepper/, chili flakes.
Ready to be enjoyed💕